We’ve all heard of colostrum and know that is produced by female mammals as a food source for new-born offspring; but what is colostrum powder and what are the benefits of it? Read on to find out more.
What is colostrum?
Colostrum is a highly nutritious fluid produced by all mammals shortly after giving birth before real breast milk production begins. For supplementation, bovine colostrum is the most widely used type of colostrum produced by cows/cattle. Compared to regular cow’s milk, colostrum is extremely rich in antibodies that it can be effective in improving the immune system. It is also higher in protein, fat, carbs, vitamins and minerals compared to real milk.
What are the benefits of colostrum powder?
- Immunity booster – bovine colostrum strengthens the gut wall which makes it a significant part of our immunity. Studies also suggest that airway infections caused by exercise as well as the flu may be prevented when taking the supplement.
- Improve gut health – it has been shown that bovine colostrum stimulates the growth of intestinal cells and strengthen the gut wall. It can also restore the intestinal microbiome and support of the healing of damaged mucos.
- Gain muscle mass – due to its high concentration of growth factors, athletes are more likely to gain muscle mass than muscle weight which can be a good addition when supplementing with other protein powders.
- Aid in weight loss – It may aid in weight loss as it has a hormone called leptin which signals the brain that the stomach is full.
Colostrum powder FAQ
Who should take colostrum powder?
Colostrum powder can be taken by anyone, it is particularly great for individuals wanting to boost their immunity and promote lean muscle tissue growth.
It is also an excellent for someone who simply wants to consume a quality natural source of biologically active proteins.
What does colostrum milk powder taste like?
Colostrum has a buttermilk taste to it. It is light yellow in colour and has a creamy texture that most people like.
What should I mix colostrum with?
Mix VPAs colostrum powder with water or juice. Stir for 5 seconds or until completely dispersed.
What is the best time to take colostrum powder?
The daily dose varies but one can take 20g to 60g for athletic performance or to improve gust health. Colostrum can be taken first thing in the morning or post workout.
Latest posts by Anna Timms (see all)
- Colostrum powder: What is it and what are the benefits? - June 3, 2020
- 5 Health Benefits of Intermittent Fasting - June 2, 2020