For purposes of making it easier ton understand the area of your abs that you are working, it is best if we split you abs into two sections:
- Front (the six-pack area)
- The sides (the V area)
Here are the top 7 exercises for building your rock hard abs, which consists of 4 for the front area of your abs and 3 for the sides.
1. Medicine Ball Slam
CrossFit® – Forging Elite Fitness® (https://www.crossfit.com/)
The reason this is our first pick is not only because it works your abs in a very functional way, but it also burners a lot of calories making it a great addition to your cardio workouts to help burn some extra fat.
– Standing up with your knees slightly bent lift the medicine ball directly over your head with your arms extended.
– Rise up on the balls of your feet and use your core muscles to throw the ball to the ground as you bend forwards at the waist.
– Catch the ball and repeat.
2. Dragon Flag
More Core Strength tips and techniques: https://www.instagram.com/coachmyers_gutcheck/ Train like Coach Myers: https://oldschoolgym.com/collections/e-books
If you haven’t done these before…prepare to feel the pain. Note these do not leg raisers, your glutes do not touch the ground before your feet.
– Lie back on the bench with your hands holding the bench behind your head.
– Bring your knees up to your chest and kick out to the ceiling, raising your body with just your shoulders on the bench.
– Keep your body straight and as you slowly move down.
3. Toe Touch
Toe Touch Crunches are a great basic abs exercise. Search over 500 free workout videos @ https://goo.gl/4Q1J58 Home workout programs @ https://goo.gl/aK35T1 Free 5 Day Workout Challenge @ https://goo.gl/taFMrf 4 Week Meal Plan now available @ https://goo.gl/qyjnZl 4 Week Bodyweight-Only Home Workout Program @ https://goo.gl/5dURvz We use PowerBlock’s adjustable dumbbells: http://bit.ly/yDWK7V Keep up with us on facebook @ http://on.fb.me/1nLlLwY Instagram @ http://bit.ly/LeZwmC Google+ @ http://bit.ly/1clGvI3 Twitter @ http://bit.ly/1BnC8cm Pinterest @ http://bit.ly/1xvTt3s Fitness Blender’s workout programs make it possible to keep our workout videos & website free.
These look easy, but if you do them right your abs will burn like never before!
– Lie on your back, with your feet raised in the air.
– Your legs should form a 90-degree angle with your torso.
– Using your lower abs, lift your torso off the ground and reach your hands toward your toes. Lower back to start.
4. Ab Wheel Rollout
Uploaded by Testosterone Nation on 2014-09-03.
Now you have to be careful with this one, the first few times I tried this I could literally feel your ab muscles making microtears.
– Kneel on the floor and hold an ab wheel (or a barbell with small plates) beneath your shoulders.
– Brace your abs and roll the wheel forward until you feel you’re about to lose tension in your core and your hips might sag.
– Roll yourself back to start.
5. Side Jackknife
This might not look like much, but give it a go and your obliques will thank you come Summer!
– Lay on your side with your left arm extended out on the floor and you right arm bent to your head with your elbow bent out.
– Make sure your right leg is on top of your left.
– Bring your right elbow to your left leg as you raise your body up, contracting your obliques and slowly lower down before swapping sides after reps
6. Side Plank Dips
Uploaded by TrainFTW on 2018-05-07.
You think planks are hard…
– Lie on your left side with your legs straight and your right leg stacked on your left.
– Position yourself so your weight is resting on your left forearm and the outside edge of your left foot. Your elbow should be directly beneath your shoulder, and your upper arm should be perpendicular to the floor.
– Align your body so it forms a straight line from your neck to your ankles, and place your right hand on your hip.
– Lower your hips toward the ground a couple inches, then come back up to start.
7. Medicine Ball Russian Twist
Watch how to do Seated Medicine Ball Twists, as demonstrated by Mark Langowski, celeb trainer and author of Eat This, Not That! for Abs. Learn more at http://www.eatthis.com. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EatThisNotThat Twitter: https://twitter.com/EatThisNotThat Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/EatThisNotThat Instagram: @EatThisNotThat
Quick tip, if you want to really smash your core with this one, use a 10kg or 20kg plate instead of a ball
– Sit on the floor in the top position of a situp and, holding a medicine ball.
– With both hands, extend your arms in front of you.
– Explosively twist your body to one side and then twist back.