Casein or Whey Protein? - VPA Australia

FREE SHIPPING ON ALL ORDERS OVER $99

Time Until Next Dispatch order Before 4PM for same day dispatch
0

Your Cart is Empty

Casein or Whey Protein?

March 20, 2021 2 min read

Casein or Whey Protein?-VPA Australia


Whey and casein are one of the most popular types of protein powders in the market. What is the difference between the two?

Milk contains two types of proteins — casein and whey. Although they are both dairy-based proteins, a byproduct of cheese production, they produce very different results on a molecular level. Whey is 20% while casein is the remaining 80% from the solid part of skim milk when treated with acid. Casein is what you get when milk curdles.


What’s the difference between casein and whey protein?


Casein is a slow-digesting dairy protein compared to whey protein. This results to a slow and steady release and increase of blood amino acids and lasts longer, with elevated levels lasting over 300 minutes, which helps with recovery and reduce muscle breakdown. Because of this, it is mostly taken before bed.  

On the other hand, whey protein isolate is a faster digesting protein compared to WPC, and increases in blood amino acids levels in only under an hour with peak levels in under 90 minutes.

Both casein and whey protein are high quality and complete proteins as they have all the essential amino acids that our body needs and are easily digested and absorbed. Both have also long been a staple for many bodybuilders and athletes.

Whey Protein Casein

Complete protein

Yes

Yes

High in Leucine

Higher

Lower

High in Glutamine

Lower

Higher

Absorption rates

Faster

Slower

Duration of elevated blood amino acids

Shorter

Longer



When to take either Casein or Whey Protein


Whey Protein

Because of its quick-digesting nature, whey protein is excellent taken before, during, or after workouts as it fuels the muscles quickly. It’s perfect taken in smoothies or protein shakes as creamy and easy to mix with your usual smoothie ingredients. If you have difficulty digesting dairy proteins, check out our VPA Premium Plant Protein as an alternative.

Sold out

Sold out

Casein


Casein is often called the ‘bedtime protein’ as it’s best used before bed or before any fasting times because the slow release of amino acids promotes fullness and holds off hunger and catabolism.Casein is also easily mixed with water and can be added to any smoothie or shake or as a pudding as it is thick and creamy.

What to look for in Casein Protein

Look for Micellar casein –which is the purest and natural form of casein as opposed to hydrolysed casein which is more quickly absorbed as it has been processed.

Micellar Casein-VPA Australia
Sold out

VPA Australia

VPA is Australia's leading supplement supplier. The highest quality 100% pure products sold at wholesale prices with FREE Shipping.


Also in Supplements

3 Supplements for Triathletes (and 6 More That You Should Consider)
3 Supplements for Triathletes (and 6 More That You Should Consider)

February 05, 2021 5 min read

Almost every triathlete is looking for the next strategy they can use to get an edge for a competition or to improve their performance. And while supplements certainly are not the laying foundation for great performance, optimizing your supplement routine can help take your performance to the next level. Read further to learn about the supplements recommended for triathletes.
Read More
The difference between Pre-30 V2 and Kleos Pre-workout
The difference between Pre-30 V2 and Kleos Pre-workout

January 15, 2021 4 min read

The evidence supporting the claims of Pre-workout benefits are abundant. So wether it works or not is no longer the question in the fitness industry but rather, which pre-workout supplement is the best. Today we will answer one of your most frequently asked questions about pre-workout supplements, specifically, the difference between VPA Pre-30 V2 and Kleos Pre-workout.
Read More
Pre-workouts don’t work – debunking the myth.-VPA Australia
Pre-workouts don’t work – debunking the myth.

August 03, 2020 4 min read

Read More

Get A Free Sample