There’s a new kid on the block that’s going to take your recovery to the next level and it is ZMA6 Recovery. If you’ve never heard of ZMA before, then you’re in for a treat because you’re about to learn what it is and why you should be using it.
As a sports nutritionist, I’m always looking at the best ways to recover from my workouts, have a good night's sleep, and wake up feeling refreshed. A few years ago, after doing some research on supplements I stumbled across the ZMA formula which is Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6.
After purchasing this supplement and taking it the first night, I had quite vivid dreams which I don’t often get and having vivid dreams is a great sign that you’re getting good sleep. I also woke up that morning feeling quite refreshed and from there I knew that this would be a useful tool in my toolbelt.
Now here’s the thing, the best way for you to recover from training isn’t foam rolling or stretching or sitting around on the couch after a workout, it’s actually your nutrition and your sleep.
When you sleep, that is when your body has the best time to recover, heal, and adapt to the demands you’ve placed on it so you want to make sure you’re getting the most restorative sleep possible. This is where ZMA plays such an important role.
ZMA is a supplement which is the nutrition side of things that also helps you with your sleep which means it’s covering both bases for recovery.
What is ZMA6 Recovery?
Regular ZMA contains Zinc, Magnesium and Vitamin B6 which is a great combo (as I mentioned earlier). However, VPA pushed their limits with their ZMA6 Recovery by adding Ashwagandha Extract, L-Tryptophan, Collagen Hydrolysate and L-Glutamine and Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA).
What do these ingredients do and why does this concoction work so well when you have them all in one formula?
- Zinc:This trace mineral is necessary for more than 300 enzymes involved in metabolism, digestion, immunity, and other areas of your health. It helps the immune system fight off invading bacteria and viruses. The body also needs zinc to make proteins and DNA, the genetic material in all cells.
- Vitamin B6. This water-soluble vitamin is needed for processes such as making neurotransmitters and nutrient metabolism.
- Magnesium: Magnesium is a nutrient that the body needs to stay healthy. Magnesium is important for many processes in the body, including regulating muscle and nerve function, blood sugar levels, and blood pressure and making protein, bone, and DNA.
- Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha contains chemicals that could help calm the brain, reduce swelling (inflammation), lower blood pressure, and alter the immune system. So, a reduction is stress is crucial for recovery.
- L-tryptophan: This is an essential amino acid that helps the body make proteins and certain brain-signaling chemicals. Your body changes L-tryptophan into a brain chemical called serotonin. Serotonin helps control your mood and sleep.
- L-glutamine: This is also an amino acid and is an energy source for intestinal and immune cells. It also helps maintain the barrier between the intestines and the rest of your body and aids with proper growth of intestinal cells, which means it’s great for your stomach health.
- Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA): GABA is a natural brain relaxant that makes us feel good. GABA works by blocking brain signals (neurotransmissions). GABA helps the body and mind to relax and fall asleep, and to sleep well throughout the night.
With all the ingredients listed on VPA’s ZMA6 Recovery, you can see why this product is a fantastic supplement to take especially if you’re looking to optimise your recovery.
When Should You Take ZMA6 Recovery?
As you can see from what each of these ingredients do, most of them are designed to help you calm down and recover and the best time to do this is in the evening.
Ideally about an hour before bed you should be taking one serving of ZMA 6 as this will give you plenty of time to start winding down for bed and by the time you’ve brushed your teeth and gotten into bed you’ll start to feel more relaxed and fall asleep easier,
A serving size is about two flat scoops (you’ll have a scooper in the tub) with about 150ml-250ml of water. This supplement also comes in two delicious flavours for you to choose from which is Apple Raspberry And Mango Melon.
There is no other supplement on the market that I know of with this combination and at this dose to help you get the best recovery you can.
But just remember as much as this supplement can help you, it will only do the best job it can if you’re nailing your nutrition which means eating enough calories, eating plenty of fruits and veggies to get your micronutrients AND eating enough protein to help you recover and grow.
If you are on point with your nutrition and you throw this supplement into the mix, it’s a game changer, trust me.